Inbox.
All About Email - The Last Word in Email Publishing

Monday, September 3, 2007

Boring auto replies are boring

I am going away for a week. On holiday. The first one for three years. I expect to get a normal volume of email while I am out of office, so what should I do?

To me email demands urgency - it is quick to send, and people expect / appreciate a quick response.

So rather than just ignore my messages for 7 days, I need an out-of-office auto reply.

Many people forget the significance of these. I have thought about a few ideas:

1. Do not use the usual boring out-of-office subject line. Say something engaging - how about: Responding from the beach.

2. Remember that this is an opportunity to communicate with existing and potential business contacts. Rather than saying I am away for a few days, embellish your message. - I am out of town for a week and when I return I look forward to talking more with you about business, especially our new strategy for XYZ

3. Share you trip with them - it will be a great icebreaker when you return - I am going to be trekking through the jungles of South Chicago for 2 weeks.

So always think carefully about your message - it is a marketing / engagement opportunity.

Of course, I won't really be out of touch - my trusty blackberry will be with me, so I can take a sneak at who is emailing me - any who knows, I might even reply to the lucky ones!

No comments: